When does an accident report need to be filed? | The Martin Law Firm
Call for a Free consultation Spanish Services Available

When does an accident report need to be filed?

If you are involved in a car crash, your first thoughts may be focused on your injuries or the damage to your vehicle. If you had passengers, their safety will also be a concern, as will that of anyone else involved in the accident. The last thing that might come to mind at such a time is any legal obligation. However, it is important to follow the correct procedures if you want to avoid legal trouble.

The first thing you might want to do in the event of a car accident is check if anyone needs medical attention. If so, call an ambulance immediately. Collect details from any witnesses or other drivers involved in the accident and make a note of the road and weather conditions.

There is a good chance that law enforcement officers will arrive at the scene and make a report, However, if they do not, you may be required to file a crash report. Under Texas law, this must be done in cases where someone is injured, when damage of a value in excess of $1,000 is done to vehicles or property and in the case of fatal accidents. You can submit a CR-2 form via the DMV website.

Of course, you might also want to seek compensation or an insurance payout. An attorney might be able to help you with this by evaluating the circumstances of your accident and advising you on how best to proceed. He or she may also be able to support you through the process, increasing your chances of receiving the remuneration you deserve.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Get A Free Consultation With Attorney Gregg Martin

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

The Martin Law Firm
3934 Cypress Creek Parkway
Suite 345
(FM 1960)
Houston, TX 77068

Phone: 281-893-0777
Fax: 281-880-8785
Map & Directions

A Reputation For Excellence